All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier Ballistic nylon or brown waxed canvas
- Premium full-grain leather accents
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- 12.5” L x 5.25” W x 16” H; 3.2 lbs. 31.75 L x 13.34 W x 40.64 H cm; 1.45 kg
Volume: 17 liters
- Leather-lined comfortable grab handle.
- Spacious, gold-lined interior for visibility.
- Ergonomically-designed straps distribute weight evenly.
- Front zippered pocket with rain-guard flap for documents.
- Two additional front pockets with leather tabs and magnetic closures.
- Two exterior side pockets for water bottle or other quick-access items.
- Two open-topped, interior hand pockets for storing chargers, cords, pens, etc.
- Thick, leather bottom provides structure and enhances water-resistance and longevity.
- Anti-sweat mesh cushion also slides over rolling suitcase handle for breezing through airports.
- Two padded compartments - one for laptop, one for tablet - both easily accessible through a separate waterproof zipper for easy access at airport security.
- OPTIONAL: Martexin Original Wax can be used to touch-up and and freshen the wax on your bag.
The Bolt Backpack is part of the Bolt Collection of bags.
When I first ordered this backpack online, I thought “why did I just spend over $300 on a bag?” After it finally got it delivered, I opened up the box, held the bag in my hand and thought “oh...that’s why it cost over $300.” This is not just a functional backpack that also looks good. This is the type of item that will long outlive you. It’s probably the last backpack I’ll ever need to buy for myself.
I have only owned the bag for a week, but I can say the construction is incredible, the space is just right for my daily use (plus a little extra), and the fit when I carry it is very comfortable. I will leave a review again after a bit of time, but I can say that this is immediately my favorite daily carry bag for both professional and personal use.
This is an amazing bag, It has become my daily carry but it does has some limitations. Coming from London, security and waterproof are two features I value in a bag. The number of exposed pockets are a problem for me as anything that goes in them, can be picked or become waterlogged if I am caught in a heavy downpour. So I don't really use them.
The keyring would have been better as a D-ring, I cut the cord on mine and replaced it with 2 D-Rings, so I can attach any keyring to it and it works on both sides, which is handy if you spin the bag round to get your keys. It also means I can choose which key lanyard I want to use and not limited to the one sewn in.
Initiall the lack of organisation was a bummer, but to be honest - I like it now. I use a waterfield gear pouch and it keeps the inside minimal and organised. So I think it's a plus. I had mixed reviews on velcro on the pockets, but for my laptop charger it's a plus, but I removed it from the other pocket where my wallet / notebook goes.
The hidden front pocket is awesome, it's not obvious there is one and it is really deep, so you can throw a lot in there and it has decent resistance to water if it rains.
Overall, this is a really good bag. I wouldn't use it if I went back to Europe, but for the office and local trips it's perfect. This is the bag I reach for when I need a good daily carry.
I own many bags from various companies. WaterField products never disappoint. I recently bought the zoom cross body, bolt duffel large dual zipper (waxed canvas), bolt backpack waxed canvas, and a couple totes. Love these bags. Thoughtful design and quality craftsmanship. If you are thinking about buying WaterField Do it.
Tech.Co - November 15, 2017
”The Bolt Backpack offers the perfect combination of durability, well thought-out function, and style. This product is also made in America with care, and it shows.”
ZDNet - July 28, 2017
”Millions carry items to and from work in backpacks every single day and it may be one of the most used bags you own. Waterfield makes all of its bags in San Francisco and they are built to last for years.”
MacDirectory - June, 2017
”The Bolt is intended for travelers or anyone who tends to be away from their home all day and needs to be prepared for any situation.”
The Verge - April 7, 2017
”The Staad and Bolt backpacks from Waterfield Designs are pricey and peculiar, but ultimately worth it”
MacSparky - September 29, 2016
”If you carry a lot of gear or are looking to use a backpack for travel, you should probably step up to the Bolt.”
AppAdvice - September 23, 2016
”The Bolt is something I can see carrying for years and holding up wonderfully. And that’s more than I can say for other backpacks.”
The Gadgeteer - September 13, 2016
”Waterfield has made a backpack that can easily fit into just about any lifestyle, whether it’s corporate, weekend or—dare I say it?—hipster. The Bolt is stylish without showing off, rugged yet classic looking and quite comfortable to lug about.”
The Bolt Backpack has a built-in padded laptop pocket - and - a built-in padded tablet pocket:
- Laptop pocket fits laptops up to 15" x 10":
- 16" MacBook Pro
- 13" MacBook Pro
- Dell XPS 15
- Surface Book 3 & 2 (13.5" & 15")
- Surface Laptop 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
- Tablet pocket fits tablets up to 13" x 9":
- iPad Pro with NEW Magic Keyboard (11", 12.9")
- Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro X, Pro 7, Go
- Customer-vetted Devices - From Customer Reviews:
- Dell XPS 15 fits in Laptop Padded Sleeve (William T., Torrance, US)
NOTE: The water bottle pocket can hold up to 4-inch (10.16 cm) water bottles.