All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
Dimensions & Weight:
41.91 (l) x 8.89 (w) x 29.21 (h) cm; 1.58 kg
Volume: 10.75 liters
- The new interior houses a waxed canvas, plush, padded laptop compartment that readily fits up to a 15-inch MacBook Pro.
- Two slots hold an Apple Pencil, Surface Pen or a few run-of-the-mill ballpoints.
- A rolling suitcase handle pass-through facilitates hands-free carry from airport curbside to gate.
- Six premium, full-grain leather accent choices under the panel add a pop of color.
- Constructed of thick, full-grain leather with raw edges, it exudes an adventurous yet sophisticated look and develops a beautiful patina with use.
- A dual-layer leather flap shuts securely with strong snaps and is adjustable to two lengths, so users can fill the bag to capacity or cinch it tight. Either way the bag maintains its slim profile.
- An unlined interior and natural edges reveal the leather’s premium quality.
- A sumptuous leather panel under the flap creates a color splash and is available in six color choices.
- The innovative strap system compresses bag contents to maintain a slim profile and positions the bag snugly against the body to help ease back fatigue.
- Two deep, waxed canvas pockets in the main compartment fit an iPad, iPhone and additional necessities.
- A full-width, luxuriously-soft, lined pocket under the flap stows additional electronics or personal items.
- A floating shoulder pad with a no-slip underside keeps the shoulder strap in place.
- A top leather handle allows for a quick grab.
I am a Student and I needed something with more substantial storage than my laptop sleeve could provide. The Rough Rider Messenger Bag fits the bill perfectly. It allows me to fit my laptop, charger and several school books easily with room to spare and it is extremely comfortable in spite of the weight.
I could not be more happy with my purchase. it is pricey but well worth the investment.
Love this bag — everything I need. Can’t wait to watch the patina develop.
Thus far, very please with my new bag. A couple of suggestions:
+ the internal accessory pockets are pretty shallow, and would not take larger mice well.
+ I would love to see a separate pouch for the increasing number of charging cords and power adaptors electronics demand, made of a matching material
This is my second bag from Waterfield, and I love them both.
I really love the look and feel of the bag. It's overall a fantastic design. I do wish that there was a third snap button for the flap. Two seems rather skimpy especially on the days when I need to throw an extra layer in my bag. The other area that could be improved is the shoulder strap. The strap actually feels a bit cheap for the high quality of the leather used. I think I'd prefer a thicker seat belt style material. Still, I'd recommend the product.
I'm a giant fan of this company, and I own several Waterfield products. I'll be critical about one thing in this review, but first, if you know Waterfield like I do, you'll be blown away by this thing just like I am. This is incredibly well made, even by Waterfield standards (that is not an easy standard to reach). I love this bag so much that even though I have the luxury of working from home whenever I need to, I make it a point to go into the office because I enjoy using and showing this bag off so much. It just exudes that sense of raw, sophisticated class.
People should know this bag is a bit heavy and on the larger side. I use it to carry a 2018 15" MacBook Pro to work, and it fits wonderfully (I have no doubts that it will fit the new 16" as well). My 11" iPad Pro with a keyboard folio fits in the tablet slot, too! There are even two slots for pens (and the Apple Pencil fits great). There is also AMPLE amount of room inside for random things in a fairly spacious compartment that keeps it shape very nicely, but it will definitely get exponentially heavier as you fill it up, so I keep it minimal. The bag itself is around 4lbs, and my laptop is almost the same weight. I'm an average to small male at 5'9" and 170lbs, and this is ALMOST too big for my frame. It will look larger on me in the summer when I don't have a winter coat on.
If you're smaller than me and carry just a 13" MBP or smaller, maybe hold off?
The major con for me: The flap is difficult to latch without picking up the bag and precisely aiming the buttons with both hands. If you're walking around and want to get something from your bag, it's easy enough to access, but you can't CLOSE it without having to stop and very carefully feel for the buttons hitting that magical "snap" moment. I'd love to see a revision that uses the magnetized buttons like the Switch CitySlicker has. I love that thing. I love this bag, too, but I wouldn't be helping Waterfield if I just pretended this wasn't a con.
“And one really needs a messenger bag that strikes a balance between playful and professional. The Waterfield Rough Rider does just that.”
“The Rough Rider is functional, wonderful to look at and built to last forever. It's the nicest bag I've ever had; I can say that without any hesitation.”
“Overall, this is a bag for someone who is more comfortable carrying a briefcase than a black canvas computer bag.”
“Though the Rough Rider may not be the cheapest entry in the commuter's bag race, it's one of the nicest and most durable we've seen.”
“WaterField Designs has scored another home run with the Rough Rider. I have yet to find a messenger bag this stylish and practical.”
Aesthetic Appeal: ★★★★★
Wow Factor: ★★★★★
Build Quality: ★★★★★
"I've been a backpack user for the past several years, but I may have found a reason to switch back to a messenger bag. This is one of the sweetest bags I've seen in a long time."
- 16" MacBook Pro
- 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Air Retina
- iPad Pro 11”, 12.9” with Smart Keyboard Folio
- Surface Book 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Surface Pro X, Pro 7 with Type Cover
- Surface Laptop 2
- Pixel Slate
- Dell XPS 13, 15
- Lenovo X1 Carbon