All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier Ballistic nylon or brown waxed canvas
- Premium full-grain leather accents
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- One size: 12.5” L x 5.25” W x 16” H; 3.2 lbs.
31.75 L x 13.34 W x 40.64 H cm; 1.45 kg
Volume: 17 liters
- Leather-lined comfortable grab handle.
- Spacious, gold-lined interior for visibility.
- Ergonomically-designed straps distribute weight evenly.
- Front zippered pocket with rain-guard flap for documents.
- Two additional front pockets with leather tabs and magnetic closures.
- Two exterior side pockets for water bottle or other quick-access items.
- Two open-topped, interior hand pockets for storing chargers, cords, pens, etc.
- Thick, leather bottom provides structure and enhances water-resistance and longevity.
- Anti-sweat mesh cushion also slides over rolling suitcase handle for breezing through airports.
- Two padded compartments - one for laptop, one for tablet - both easily accessible through a separate waterproof zipper for easy access at airport security.
- OPTIONAL: Martexin Original Wax can be used to touch-up and and freshen the wax on your bag.
The Bolt Backpack is part of the Bolt Collection of bags.
I love the look and quality — how it feels, and smells — ha! The only thing that bothers me is my 16” MacBook doesn’t fit in the pouch area when I have it in its sleeve. Even though the pouch area is padded, I don’t really feel as though its as protective as my sleeve… so, I’ve elected to keep the sleeve/laptop in the main area of the bag. Not a dealbreaker considering how nice the backpack is. Maybe I’ll learn to trust the pouch eventually.
I love the design, the size, the look; everything seems to be just right. It can accommodate my laptop, my ipad, my swimming / cycling gear, handle grocery shopping, and does not look out of place at more formal meetings. There is certain simplicity to it: it has enough pockets to keep me organised but not too many, etc etc. In Swedish there is this word "lagom" - which does
not quite translate to English. It means sth like "just right", "perfect-simple", "not too much not too little" -- well, Garry, your Bolt is just "lagom" :)
I love this backpack. It is really beautiful, well-made and versatile. Gary and his team were helpful in answering my questions and went out of their way to ensure a good experience. Im very happy with my purchase and strongly recommend this backpack/WaterField products in general. (I have the SleeveCase, Marqui pouch, Gear pouch, and key clip)
The Bolt backpack looks stunningly rugged, handsome, tough and timeless. Makes you look like you are heading to an adventure, but does not feel out of place at the office either. That being said, it's actually a more practical bag than you might think. I'm especially in love with the cleverly placed three spacious front pockets. Interior is luxurious, love the padding of the laptop/tablet compartments, the gold lining and the surprisingly useful little keychain. So you get a bag that looks straightforward and classic, but the designers have carefully considered your typical modern person who carries around many various tech items. In terms of organization and design, it has to be the most versatile bag I have used. The only reason I am giving the bag 4 stars is that somehow with few days of very light use I somehow nicked one of the metallic caps in the front, so it's coated with black paint that apparently comes off easily. I was able to cover that part up with a black marker. And I noticed that the same cap is slightly loose compared to the right one, which is not visible but it spins around in its hole, whereas the right one is like firmly glued to the flap. I think I just bumped the bag against something, but I was a bit disappointed to see that the cap can get damaged so easily. I would not complain if this were a 100$ bag but for over 300$ I wish those caps felt more durable. I also have to note that the bag's color is more muddy/green than the official photos would perhaps lead you to believe, but whether this is an issue for you depends on personal taste. The photo I added gives a more accurate idea of its color, although it has gotten a bit lighter since I first opened it. Overall I am happy with the bag and more than sure it will last for years to come.
Until I opened it up, dropping nearly $400 on a backpack is definitely going to give you buyers remote in the period between ordering it and when it arrives but you won’t be disappointed. Easily the best backpack I’ve ever purchased. The stitching, material, feel and thought put into this bag is perfect.
Bonus points for not having the dangling chest straps
Tech.Co - November 15, 2017
”The Bolt Backpack offers the perfect combination of durability, well thought-out function, and style. This product is also made in America with care, and it shows.”
ZDNet - July 28, 2017
”Millions carry items to and from work in backpacks every single day and it may be one of the most used bags you own. Waterfield makes all of its bags in San Francisco and they are built to last for years.”
MacDirectory - June, 2017
”The Bolt is intended for travelers or anyone who tends to be away from their home all day and needs to be prepared for any situation.”
The Verge - April 7, 2017
”The Staad and Bolt backpacks from Waterfield Designs are pricey and peculiar, but ultimately worth it”
MacSparky - September 29, 2016
”If you carry a lot of gear or are looking to use a backpack for travel, you should probably step up to the Bolt.”
AppAdvice - September 23, 2016
”The Bolt is something I can see carrying for years and holding up wonderfully. And that’s more than I can say for other backpacks.”
The Gadgeteer - September 13, 2016
”Waterfield has made a backpack that can easily fit into just about any lifestyle, whether it’s corporate, weekend or—dare I say it?—hipster. The Bolt is stylish without showing off, rugged yet classic looking and quite comfortable to lug about.”
The Bolt Backpack has a built-in padded laptop pocket - and - a built-in padded tablet pocket:
- Laptop pocket fits laptops up to 15" x 10":
- 16" MacBook Pro
- 13" MacBook Pro
- 13" MacBook Air
- Dell XPS 15
- Surface Book 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Surface Laptop 4 & 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
- Tablet pocket fits tablets up to 13" x 9":
- 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
- Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro X, Pro 7, Go
- Customer-vetted Devices - From Customer Reviews:
- Dell XPS 15 fits in Laptop Padded Sleeve (William T., Torrance, US)
NOTE: The water bottle pocket can hold up to 4-inch (10.16 cm) water bottles.