All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier black ballistic nylon or waxed canvas base
- Naturally-tanned full-grain leather accents
- Splash-proof zipper
Dimensions & Weight:
- Air Porter: 15 x 10.25 x 4.5 inches; 2.4 lbs. Volume: 11.25 liters
- Slips over rolling suitcase handle.
- TSA-friendly laptop-sleeve compartment opens flat; dual handles facilitate quick grab after TSA screening.
- Zippered pocket under front flap grants quick-but-secure access.
- Leather flap closes with magnets at two settings allowing front pocket to be fully or partly packed and remain secured.
- Padded laptop sleeve with corner cut-outs permits laptop charging while inside case.
- External water-bottle/umbrella pockets snap closed when not in keeping bag slim.
- Air Porter fits Air Caddy in front pocket.
- Air Caddy fits in front airline seat.
- Dual main compartments keep tech and personal items separated.
- Slim and stands upright under airline seats leaving ample legroom.
- Waterproof exterior zippers and water-resistant lining help block the elements.
- Interior key fob stores home keys for easy recovery after a long return flight.
I bought this because I have a small Tumi Alpha 2 black briefcase that I use for travel, and wanted something slightly larger. It doesn't look larger, but it has more room. I also wanted a more rugged look. This fits the bill. It's the right size for everyday office use, as well as travel use. If you had to, you could easily fit 3 or more laptops in it, but it doesn't look that big. It looks like it will last forever, and get better looking with everyday wear. If it's like the other Waterfield products I've owned (for years), that will be the case. The canvas is a bit darker in reality that it appeared on the website. I ordered it with the grizzled leather, but now that I have it, I wish I'd ordered it with the Chocolate Brown leather due to the darker than expected canvas. I don't fault Waterfield for this.
I've only had my Air Porter a few days, however I was immediately blown away by this bag. It rocks in terms of capacity, design, and quality.
My first impression was that this bag must be smaller than my previous day-to-day bag, the RacerX. It's actually close to the same size and slightly longer side-to-side, however it has a narrow profile that makes it look deceptively small. And like the Tardis, it's incredibly spacious on the inside. I'm preparing for an international trip and have done some tests packing in my travel essentials and the Air Porter holds significantly more than my RacerX. I've recently stopped travelling with my RacerX and resorted to a backpack because I just couldn't get enough of my in-flight gear to fit - this will not be a problem with the Air Porter.
The overall design of the bag is also fantastic. I love the noise of the magnetic front flap when it snaps into place. I've taken to leaving the front zip pocket unzipped for quick access to my wallet, keys, phone, etc., knowing that the flap will stay shut and keep everything secure. The laptop compartment and main compartment have plenty of pockets for organization.
Finally, as an owner of a Waterfield bag (previously mentioned RacerX), the quality on the Air Porter met and exceeded my expectations. I went for the ballistic nylon and it looks sharp and will undoubtedly hold up over the years. I love the leather front flap, the quality zippers, and the numerous small touches that go into every Waterfield.
So why is it only a "nearly perfect bag"? There are a few minor areas for improvement on the next version of the Air Porter.
1. Water bottle holders: These things are tiny and standard bottles don't fit. Consider a magnetic closure instead of a snap.
2. Carry strap: Needs a way to secure the carry strap so it doesn't lie on the floor.
3. Closure on inner pockets: Add a zip or flap to a few of the inner pockets.
4. Deeper pockets: Make large pockets in main compartment full length.
I've been looking for the perfect messenger bag or briefcase for a while. I'm an itinerant teacher who travels between schools, a PhD student, and a frequent traveler. I was a little surprised how "small" this bag appears, but honestly, it holds everything I need it to and then more. The way that it is designed to always stand, as well as the two main compartments, really make the space efficient. And the canvas. Wow. I've had canvas bags before, but I guess they were as cheap as you can get because this thing feels super premium. I was nervous about spending this much on a bag, but I got over that on the first day because of how impressed I was. The only thing I'd change is how this is marketed as a travel/flight bag. This is the perfect day bag for me. The convenience for flight travel is just a bonus.
Like all Waterfield products, this bag is really well designed and I like to use it. My only issue with it is the size of the compartment for cloth and accessories, too small to contain 2 days of cloths and usual computer accessories. That's my only issue with it.
I'm thrilled with it. The quality is amazing and it's very versatile.
Admittedly it's a little smaller than I imagined but it definitely suits my needs.
Baker On Tech - February 11, 2018
"If you’re like me, receptive to well-made and creative new designs that help us work effectively, stay organized, and has a place for all of our essentials while travelling, give this new product strong consideration."
Gadgeteer - December 16, 2017
"The Waterfield Air Porter carry-on bag is a perfect bag for traveling. It’s large enough for just about anything you want to carry, yet small enough to fit under airline seats for easy reach."
GottaBeMobile - November 14, 2017
"This is the ultimate carry on bag for frequent fliers. No more choosing between legroom and a laptop bag when you fly."
GearDiary - November 13, 2017
"Waterfield set out to make a great travel bag and … mission accomplished. Whether you only get the Air Porter or you get the Air Porter in combination with the Air Caddy, you are sure to appreciate the design, the craftsmanship and, most importantly, the functionality of this Waterfield offering; both are great for travel."
Joe Cieplinski - October 26, 2017
"If you’re in the market for a travel carry-on that’s designed with a ton of thought and attention to detail, that’s made in America by people who are paid decent wages, and that will last for many years to come (I’m about to enter year 8 for my Muzetto) the Air Porter is certainly worth a look."
ZDNet - September 25, 2017
"The WaterField Designs Air Porter was created in collaboration with customers who travel and is perfect for those who find themselves on airplanes to get work done."
- Air Porter: fits devices up to 14.1" x 9.6"
- 16-inch MacBook Pro (snug fit)
- 13-inch MacBook Pro Touch Bar, Retina, Air Retina
- Google Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro Pro X, Pro 7, Laptop 3 (13.5"), Book 2 (13.5")
- Caddy: fits laptops/tablets up to 9.75" x 6.75"
- iPad Pro 11” with Smart Keyboard Folio
- Surface Go