All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier black ballistic nylon or waxed canvas base
- Naturally-tanned full-grain leather accents
Dimensions & Weight:
- Air Porter: 15" (l) x 4.5" (w) x 10.25” (h); 2.4 lbs.
38.10 (l) x 11.43 (w) x 26.04 (h) cm; 1.08 kg
Volume: 11.25 liters
- Splash-proof YKK Zippers
- Two N35 rare earth magnets
- Designed to stand upright under airline seat leaving some legroom.
- Dual main compartments separate tech and personal items.
- Tech compartment has a padded laptop sleeve and pockets for accessories. This zips open flat for faster TSA security screening.
- Padded laptop sleeve has a corner cut-out to permit in-case charging.
- The other compartment is deeper with more organizational pockets for work documents and bulkier items.
- Interior key fob stores home keys for easy recovery after a long return flight.
- The exterior front pocket has an additional secure, zippered pocket for storing sensitive items.
- A full grain leather flap closes securely over the front pocket with magnetic clasps
- The two sides have pockets that snap open to to store water bottles or umbrella.
- The back has a passthrough slot for slipping over a suitcase handle.
- Dual leather-covered handles facilitate a quick grab after TSA screening.
- Waterproof exterior zippers and water-resistant lining help block the elements.
- Includes removable, adjustable Supreme Suspension Shoulder Strap for carrying comfort.
- Air Caddy fits in the front pocket and can be stowed in the seat back pocket once airborne.
- Martexin Original Wax can be used to touch-up and and freshen the wax on your bag.
I originally considered the Bolt Briefcase before I settled on the Air Porter bag which has, so far, proved more than capable of handling the stuff I need for daily use with room left over for those times when I will need to travel further afield. It's also satisfyingly compact compared with its capacity and takes up hardly any more space than my previous bag.
I'm still finding uses for all the internal compartments and pockets but the sizes provided are more than adequate for organising my smaller, and more easily lost, items; the colour of the lining does indeed make it easier to find things inside. It remains to be seen whether I can cram in an A3 pad of layout paper but this, if I'm honest, is not that much of a priority these days.
I was initially drawn to the waxed canvas version but eventually opted for the black Nylon if only for the sake of matching other black Nylon bags I use for business travel.
Black leather trim would, for the sake of consistency, have been the more appropriate choice but the chocolate leather looks so much better. I had wondered whether the leather front flap would have looked more integral if it also covered the top of the bag but this would probably have resulted in a more complicated flap requiring cut-outs for the carry handles (see attached sketch) which is probably contrary to the original design intent.
The leather front pocket flap, however, improves the look of the bag beyond just another black Nylon briefcase and the leather base is a very nice touch (if a little impractical for certain surfaces).
My initial impression of the leather trim on the carry handles was that they were too small but their size is exactly right and feels good in the hand. Whilst the shoulder pad is an excellent addition, the shoulder strap itself should be upgraded to a heavier gauge as it doesn't currently match the quality of the bag fabric. Also, enclosing the strap length adjustment buckle within the shoulder strap can be uncomfortable and this slightly limits the extent of strap adjustability.
Overall, the Air Porter is a good, practical bag which delivers what it was designed to do and the build quality, to a certain extent, justifies the price tag. Time, and travel, will test the durability of the ballistic Nylon but, with proper TLC, I can see this bag being a work and travel companion for many years to come.
The Air Porter Carry-On Bag I purchase is made of the waxed canvas and looks great. I can carry my MacBook Air, 12.9" Ipad Pro (in Air Caddy), Nintendo Switch (in Switchpack), all the associated cables, and one day worth of clothes. It is a great bag that fits in the under seat stowage area without overly crowding my feet. It is a beautiful bag, made with extreme quality, and easy to carry.
I've not been able to use for travel since the lockdown but looking forward to it. All around quality design and craftsmanship. Looks like durability will be no issue for long term use. My first shipment had a flaw and needed to be sent back hence I reluctantly subtract one star. However, customer service gets five stars for sending me a new bag immediately. The replacement was on the money. Bought the Air Caddy for my 12.9 inch iPad Pro with new Magic Keyboard and they work great together. Also purchased the leather luggage tag. Sure $50.00 for a tag seems a bit high but well worth it to match the quality of the Porter.
Super pleased with the bag so far, looks great and very well made. Lots of pockets and room for everything I carry when travelling. Particularly like the size and fact that it does not fall over when you set it down. Lots of flexibility on what space in bag can be used for including packing extra shoes or clothing. Now just need to be able to travel somewhere!
The Air Porter is my first Waterfield product and so far it's been fantastic. It seems very well made, is handsome, and very functional. I have no gripes or reasons to nic-pic. One suggested improvement, small magnets embedded in the handles so they click together and function as a single handle, while still being able to easily separate to access the bag and use.
Baker On Tech - February 11, 2018
"If you’re like me, receptive to well-made and creative new designs that help us work effectively, stay organized, and has a place for all of our essentials while travelling, give this new product strong consideration."
Gadgeteer - December 16, 2017
"The Waterfield Air Porter carry-on bag is a perfect bag for traveling. It’s large enough for just about anything you want to carry, yet small enough to fit under airline seats for easy reach."
GottaBeMobile - November 14, 2017
"This is the ultimate carry on bag for frequent fliers. No more choosing between legroom and a laptop bag when you fly."
GearDiary - November 13, 2017
"Waterfield set out to make a great travel bag and … mission accomplished. Whether you only get the Air Porter or you get the Air Porter in combination with the Air Caddy, you are sure to appreciate the design, the craftsmanship and, most importantly, the functionality of this Waterfield offering; both are great for travel."
Joe Cieplinski - October 26, 2017
"If you’re in the market for a travel carry-on that’s designed with a ton of thought and attention to detail, that’s made in America by people who are paid decent wages, and that will last for many years to come (I’m about to enter year 8 for my Muzetto) the Air Porter is certainly worth a look."
ZDNet - September 25, 2017
"The WaterField Designs Air Porter was created in collaboration with customers who travel and is perfect for those who find themselves on airplanes to get work done."
- Air Porter fits these devices:
- MacBook Pro 16-inch
- MacBook Pro 13-inch Touch Bar, Retina, Air Retina
- iPad Pro 11", 12.9" with Magic Keyboard
- Google Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro Pro X, Pro 7, Laptop 3 (13.5"), Book 3 & 2 (13.5")
- Other similarly-sized laptops
- Air Caddy (Optional) fits these tablets:
- iPad Pro 11” with Magic Keyboard
- iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard
- Surface Go
- Other similarly-sized tablets
- Customer-vetted Devices - From Customer Reviews:
- Dell Precision 5540 (Corbin S., Windsor, US)