All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- Black ballistic nylon with black or chocolate full-grain leather
- Waxed canvas with chocolate full-grain leather
- High-grade, shock absorbent neoprene interior
- Premium, full-grain leather flap
- All-metal hardware
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- Compact: 14.5" (l) x 2" (w) x 9.75" (h); 1.5 lbs (ballistic), 1.8 lbs (canvas)
16" (l) x 2" (w) x 10.5" (h) 1.8 lbs (ballistic), 2 lbs (canvas)
36.83 (l) x 5.08 (w) x 24.76 (h) cm; 0.68 kg (ballistic), 0.82 kg (canvas)
Volume: 4.6 liters
40.64 (l) x 5.08 (w) x 26.67 (h) cm; 0.82 kg (canvas), 0.91 kg (canvas)
Volume: 5.5 liters
- Slim, compact, and lightweight.
- Designed to carry two laptops or laptop + tablet.
- Rear includes a passthrough slot to slip onto carry-on handles.
- Dual-layer leather flap keeps items in the front pocket protected.
- Front pocket is pleated to keep bulky accessories from bulging out.
- Interior gold, water-resistant liner makes it easy to see what's inside.
- Clever laptop compartment cut-outs allow for in-case laptop charging.
- Flap is secured shut with a strong, self-finding magnet for easy closure.
- Padded laptop compartments are lined with plush, no-scratch fabric for protection.
- Includes removable, adjustable Supreme Suspension Shoulder Strap for carrying comfort.
- Two size options to protect dual laptops up to 13" MacBook Pro or up to 16" MacBook Pro.
- Three carry options: comfortable leather-lined handles, a detachable suspension shoulder strap, and a wheeled suitcase passthrough.
- OPTIONAL: Martexin Original Wax can be used to touch-up and and freshen the wax on your bag.
I recently used my new Outback Duo Laptop Brief for the first time on a week long business trip, and have a few thoughts.
Overall, I like the look of the bag -- classic Waterfield design. Also, as always, appears very well made -- as expected for Waterfield. The bag fit my use case of being able to carry a laptop and a tablet in the same case without being overly bulky, and so definitely meets my needs and should see a lot of use in the years to come.
That said, it was a bit bulkier than I expected, particularly for the amount of space available: it was actually quite tight inside with 2 devices present, and the outer pocket is much tighter than I would have expected. Also, the magnet on the outer flap holds very well if you get it lined up just right; however, getting it lined up right was sometimes easier said than done (especially if you had much of anything in the side pocket). Not deal breakers, but definitely things to be aware of.
A couple of additional thoughts for improvement... It would be nice to see some lining in the outside pocket: given the types of things that go into that pocket, canvas on canvas doesn't feel quite right. Additionally, I think this bag would be an excellent candidate for the magnetic closure system that is starting to show up on other Waterfield bags (in place of the zipper): I have that on another Waterfield bag, and it works really well and looks great.
So overall a solid bag which I'm going to enjoy using, but some things to be aware of and some opportunities for improvement.
I bought this bag as a companion for my Air Duffel, for when I just need a few items for a trip to the office. The large version holds either (or both) of the machines I use, or one of them and either a second screen or iPad. There’s just enough room for folders with the day’s work in between. The exterior pocket is great for small items that need quick access. I could also imagine using this as a travel bag for short trips, since it fits nicely on the handle of a roll aboard suitcase. It’s light and just big enough for the essentials for working.
This bag will be my go-to for commuting, traveling for meetings, interviews, and anything else requiring a vessel to keep a few things in such as a notebook, files, or small laptop. I got the compact size as I prefer laptops with less of a footprint and wanted something as slim and streamlined as possible for when I don’t need to carry around a lot, while still maintaining a modern professional look. It goes without saying that materials and craftsmanship are top notch.
I love my other bag (Air Porter) from Waterfield - it feels like that one thought of everything. This Outback Duo feels like an incomplete first draft. If I put laptops in each of the sides - as intended - the bag has no give and the inner pocket only gets about 3/4 " wide. The side zippers really should have gone down the whole side - not stopped halfway. Also, if the bag is meant for 2 laptops, you've got to assume people will carry at least one charger. But again, with 2 laptops there is no room for a normal sized laptop charger.
I love the style and I love the materials. But the design makes some serious mistakes.
I have a big DELL 17 inch lap top so I got this duo bag. It just barely makes it. I will stick with it, but I wish it was a bit bigger. Excellent bag otherwise.
The Digital Trekker - October 6, 2020
“I am finding it difficult to find anything negative about this bag.”
BAG SCORE: 97%
MacDirectory - August 2020
“Out of the confusion from Cupertino comes satisfaction from San Francisco as WaterField revealed its incredible cool Outback Duos attachés for 13, 15, and 16-inch laptops, assured to be compatible with any OS and portable device Apple will send our way for years to come.”
9to5Mac - July 21, 2020
“But this is otherwise the perfect accompaniment to a carry-on roller bag when traveling, keeping your MacBook and iPad easily on hand, while also serving well as a standalone hand or shoulder bag for everyday use.”
The Outback Duo comes in two sizes, each with two padded laptop compartments. Below are the devices that fit in these compartments.
- Full Size - Both padded laptop compartments fit devices up to 15" x 10"
- 14" MacBook Pro M2
- 16" MacBook Pro M2
- 15" MacBook Air M2
- Surface Studio Laptop
- Surface Laptop 5 (15")
- Surface Pro 9 with Type Cover
- Compact Size - Both padded laptop compartments fits devices up to 13" x 9"
- 14" MacBook Pro M1
- 13" MacBook Pro M2
- 13" MacBook Air M2
- 12.9" iPad Pro M2 with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro M2 with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
- Surface Laptop 5 (13.5")
- Surface Pro 9 with Type Cover
- Customer-vetted Devices - From Customer Reviews:
- reMarkable (paper tablet) fits in Compact Size
- Pixel Slate fits in Compact Size
- Dell XPS 15 9570 (15.6” ultrabook) fits in Full Size (Robert N., Sunnyvale, US)