NEW! Sutter Slim Backpack
- Product Info
- What Fits
Sharp, Clean, Well-balanced. The compact Sutter Slim Laptop Backpack holds essential tech gear for your day at the office. A pleated, full grain leather front panel keeps the bag streamlined even when filled with a laptop, tablet, and additional gear. Easy-access front pockets are balanced on the top and bottom for efficient use of space. Upgrade your professional or casual wardrobe with the new Sutter Slim!
See our complete Sutter Collection.
All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier black ballistic nylon or brown waxed canvas
- Full-grain leather accents
Dimensions & Weight:
- 15.5" (H) x 11.5" (L) x 3.75" (W); 2.2 lbs. Volume: 11 Liters
- YKK water-resistant zippers
- Clean, streamlined profile keeps the Slim Backpack compact even when full.
- Comfortable, modern fit.
- Slim profile is ideal for commuting in crowded spaces.
- Lightweight and compact with efficient use of space.
- Premium full-grain leather panel is pleated to help control bulge and maintain the sleek look.
- Two external pockets offer easy access from the top or sides.
- Pockets are evenly spaced to balance the load and distribute contents.
- Leather handle for comfortable grab and go.
- Interior gold liner increases visibility.
- Padded compartments for a laptop and tablet are on one side; organizational pockets on the other.
- Rear mesh padding for breathability and comfort. Lower panel slips over carry-on handles for easy travel.
- Ergonomic, padded shoulder straps.
- Stiffened bottom and side panels eliminate sagging and help keep the backpack upright when set down.
- Compliments any professional or casual wardrobe.
The compact Sutter Slim Laptop Backpack is sized to hold a day’s work and tech gear. There are two easy-access front pockets to separate electronic gear from personal items. Inside are two padded compartments for protecting a laptop or tablet.
- The built-in Tablet Padded Sleeve fits devices up to 12" x 8.75", including:
- iPad Pro (11" & 12.9”) with Smart Keyboard Folio
- Surface Pro 6, Go with Type Cover
- Pixel Slate
- The built-in Laptop Padded Sleeve fits devices up to 14.25” x 10", including:
- 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar, Retina
- Surface Book 2 (13.5" & 15")
- Dell XPS 15
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
Macworld - February 6, 2019
"As I’ve said about other WaterField products, it’s as smartly designed as anything that comes out of Cupertino, and that makes it a perfect companion for any collection of portable Apple gear."
I just loved this bag... it finally made it to Chile and the waiting pay off. You guys really do great stuff...
I've owned a lot of backpacks over the past 40 years, some for outdoor activities and some for commuting and laptop transport. I bought this bag for the latter, and it has more than lived up to my expectations. To be fair, I have owned other Waterfield products, so I knew that I would like the quality of materials and construction. I also tend to prefer somewhat minimalist design, so that is another reason I like this company. The Sutter Slim model was chosen for its relatively compact size, good looks, and chocolate/brown color. I've used it to transport my 13" MacBook Air and iPad Mini to work (a 2.2 milk walk) and by public transport. I've gotten a lot of compliments and questions about it. It holds plenty without being bulky and is rugged enough to stand up to just about anything. While not waterproof per se, it is quite resistant. The zippers are well-constructed, the laptop pocket is nicely padded and positioned well, and the straps are very comfortable, even for long walks. The outside pockets are roomy enough that the lack of an explicit water bottle holder has not been an issue. Despite being made of high-quality materials, the bag is not unduly heavy. I think anyone looking for a stylish, practical and well-made commuter backpack should seriously consider the Sutter Slim. The only thing that might be an issue for some is that the bag will seem inflexible to those who are used to nylon or other soft-material backpacks. But it will soften some with use, and it will hold up a lot better.
This is an excellent, compact laptop bag. I was looking for a formal, yet not too serious laptop bag that I could use in the office and around town. I usually only carry my MacBook Pro, iPad, BT headphones, pens and other trinkets and this bag is perfect for that. Materials and build quality are top-notch, and the leather accents feel amazing. Overall, a fantastic backpack. I ordered it with the Tech Pocket and it’s a nice little addition, it keeps some of my accessories and dongles nicely packed.
For the past 15 years I’ve been making do with a baggy backpack that allowed everything inside to slosh around. The Sutter is purpose-built, which means it’s thoughtfully designed with modern tech needs in mind. Yes, it accommodates your laptop, notebook, and tablet. But it also fits lunch (including a banana). Also, I’ve found that it really hugs my back while running up flights of stairs—even with just a single strap—where the old bag would flop around like a satchel in a windstorm. Bonus: it looks amazing. You’ll want to carry stuff around more often.
Will items fall to the bottom when I use the front pockets?
No, items will not accumulate at the bottom. We designed two pockets, one above the other, to address this issue. You can store your electronics and your personal items separately. You can access one pocket from the top, and the other pocket from the sides.
What’s the secret to keeping the bag slim and refined even when full?
First, we made efficient use of space so items will not be bumping into each other. We balanced the placement of the interior and exterior pockets so stored items will not overlap. And, we pleated the full grain leather panel to minimize any bulge that might occur with overpacking.
Will the bag stand upright?
To help keep the bag upright, we stiffened the bottom side panels that attach to the straps.
Why is the bag lined in gold?
We chose gold because this light color makes it easier to quickly identify the contents inside your bag. The liner also adds a thin water-resistant layer of protection between the canvas or the ballistic nylon and the items you carry.
What type of leather is used for the front panel?
We use premium, full grain leather, the (most expensive) part of the hide with a really tight grain that makes it highly durable. Scratches and other surface character are signs that you’re getting the real thing — authentic, distressed leather that will develop a beautiful patina over time.
Have a question about this product? Contact us at HeyGary@SFBags.com.