All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier black ballistic nylon or brown waxed canvas
- Full-grain leather accents
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- One size: 11.25” (l) x 3.75” (w) x 15.5” (h); 2.2 lbs.
28.57 (l) x 9.52 (w) x 39.37 (h) cm; 1.0 kg
Volume: 11 Liters
- Ergonomic, padded shoulder straps.
- Interior gold liner increases visibility.
- Leather handle for comfortable grab and go.
- Compliments any professional or casual wardrobe.
- Lightweight and compact with efficient use of space.
- Slim profile is ideal for commuting in crowded spaces.
- Two external pockets offer easy access from the top or sides.
- Pockets are evenly spaced to balance the load and distribute contents.
- Clean, streamlined profile keeps the Slim Backpack compact even when full.
- Premium full-grain leather panel is pleated to help control bulge and maintain the sleek look.
- Padded compartments for a laptop and tablet are on one side; organizational pockets on the other.
- Rear mesh padding for breathability and comfort. Lower panel slips over carry-on handles for easy travel.
- Stiffened bottom and side panels eliminate sagging and help keep the backpack upright when set down.
- Tech Pocket to fit extra tech gear.
- Martexin Original Wax can be used to touch-up and and freshen the wax on your bag.
This is starting to feel like an addiction. It started with the Hip Sling Bag for carrying my iPad mini, which I liked well enough that I got the large Sutter Tech Sling for times when I want to carry both the iPad mini and my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. Now I’ve rounded out my collection with the Sutter Slim Backpack, which enables me to carry my 16 inch MacBook Pro, the 12.9 inch iPad Pro, and the iPad mini plus a full set of chargers, battery packs, and even my AirPods Max.
Do I need all three? Not really. But they each serve their own purpose and each one is a work of art in leather and canvas.
I can’t say enough nice things about the Sutter Slim Backpack. It’s stylish (see “work of art”) yet slim and functional. Even packed full with all the items listed above, it doesn’t bulge at all. And it is comfortable to wear, even fully packed. It’s the perfect complement for my Hip Bag and Sling. Highly recommended.
All the products that I have purchased from Waterfield have given me immense satisfaction. They age very well in their timelessness and have attracted admiring comments from my colleagues. Would not change their design and feel for anything.
Overall I really like the backpack. From a size and space perspective, it checks all my boxes. I just got back from a week long trip, and it was perfect for carrying a 15 inch ThinkPad, an 11 inch iPad Pro with magic keyboard folio, as well as full-sized over the ear headphones, plus assorted charging cables/travel documents/odds and ends. And it never once felt full or looked like it was straining. The quality of the materials is great, and the build seems robust (though time will tell).
My only complaint (and this has been noted in other reviews), and for which I deducted a star, is that the waxed canvas tabs at the bottom that connect the straps to the base of the bag are terribly designed (see the attached pictures). They come out from the base of the bag at a right angle, and when the bag is worn, the angle of the straps causes the stiff point of the tab to curl inwards and dig into the bag-wearer's side. It's a very silly oversight in an otherwise extremely well-designed and thoughtful bag. I'm going to attempt to sew the points down so they don't poke into my side, which is a level of post-purchase modification that shouldn't be required for a $250 backpack. But overall I'm happy with the purchase, and still would recommend this company and it's products to others. Hopefully this oversight can be corrected in the next iteration of the backpack, because otherwise it's the best option for a low-profile, high quality, adult-looking backpack that I've found. (My only other wish that would make this the perfect backpack would be a chest strap, but I could easily see how that would interfere with the overall aesthetics of the bag)
Accommodates my laptop, tablet, e-reader, portfolio of papers, and essential travel docs well. At security checkpoints, they slide in and out of their pockets easily. And it keeps its slim shape, making it easy to roll around with my carry on, sling over my shoulder, or slide under the airplane seat. It's beautiful.
I have enjoyed my time so far with the Sutter slim backpack. I opted for the canvas and distressed brown leather version, because I was looking for a work and travel backpack that was more businesslike than a standard black nylon backpack. The size is perfect, and electronics and accessories are well organized.
Macworld - February 6, 2019
"As I’ve said about other WaterField products, it’s as smartly designed as anything that comes out of Cupertino, and that makes it a perfect companion for any collection of portable Apple gear."
The compact Sutter Slim Laptop Backpack is sized to hold a day’s work and tech gear. There are two easy-access front pockets to separate electronic gear from personal items. Inside are two padded compartments for protecting a laptop or tablet.
- The built-in Laptop Padded Sleeve fits devices up to 14.25” x 10", including:
- 16" MacBook Pro
- Surface Book 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Surface Laptop 4 & 3 (13.5" & 15")
- The built-in Tablet Padded Sleeve fits devices up to 13" x 8.75", including:
- 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
- Surface Pro X, Pro 7, Go with Type Cover
- Customer-vetted Devices - From Customer Reviews:
- Dell XPS 15 fits in Laptop Padded Sleeve
- Lenovo X1 Carbon fits in Laptop Padded Sleeve
- Pixel Slate fits in Tablet Padded Sleeve
- 15" Lenovo Thinkpad fits in Laptop Padded Sleeve (Douglas S., Goodyear, US)
See also the Sutter Slim Backpack - Magic Keyboard Size for more options.