Pro Executive Laptop Backpack
Optional Executive Folio
- Product Info
- What Fits
The Boardroom Backpack. The Pro Backpack blends sophisticated style with serious functionality. It's highly organized with two compartments, strategically-placed pockets, and a removable Executive Folio for taking to short meetings. The optional Executive Folio ($89) holds a laptop, documents, and pens. The Pro Backpack stands upright, so it can be set down without falling over. Premium leather accents give the backpack its character and develop a luxurious patina over time.
NOTE: The Pro Backpack was developed in collaboration with customers. Our goal was to create a professional-looking backpack that balances functionality with style elegant enough for the boardroom. See the journey from idea to product here.
All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier black Ballistic nylon
- Full-grain leather accents (no skimping on the leather)
Dimensions & Weight:
Pro Executive Backpack:
- One size: 13.5" (L) x 16.5" (H) x 7.0" (W), 2.9 lbs. Volume: 25.5 liters
- 13” size: 10.25” (L) x 13.25” (H) x 1.75” (W), 1 lb.
- 15” size: 11.0” (L) x 15.0” (H) x 1.75” (W), 1.2 lbs.
- Crowd-sourced design with customers to create a stylish and functional backpack for professionals.
- The optional executive Folio is easily removable to take for short meetings.
- Stands upright when it’s set down.
- Two main chambers: back chamber zips down to carry laptop or tablet, documents, and the Executive Folio. Front chamber is spacious enough to hold other items needed for a day at the office.
- Premium full grain leather front panel and handle.
- Two zip pockets on the front panel to quickly access items when swinging the backpack from the shoulder.
- Two large side pockets for water bottle and small items.
- Top front pocket that’s deep enough to hold items securely.
- Back slot for slipping onto suitcase handles.
- Top handle is premium leather for a more comfortable grip.
- Comfortable, padded shoulder straps.
- Sleek, waterproof zippers throughout.
- Built to last.
The Padded laptop/tablet compartment fits devices up to 15" x 10"
- 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar, Retina
- Surface Book 2 (13” & 15”)
- Lenovo X1 Carbon, Yoga 720 (13")
- Dell XPS 13, 15
- Surface Laptop 2
- 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar, Retina, Air
- iPad Pro (11" & 12.9”) with Smart Keyboard Folio
- reMarkable (paper tablet)
- Surface Book 2 (13.5")
- Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro 6 with Type Cover
- Dell XPS 13"
- 15" MacBook Pro Touch Bar, Retina
- Surface Book 2 (15")
- Dell XPS 15"
BagWorks - October 8, 2018
“The Pro Executive Backpack from Waterfield Designs is an exceedingly great bag for any of you business-y type people out there.”
MacDirectory - August 18, 2018
"We never thought we’d use the word “breathtaking” to describe a backpack, but that’s the only word that really describes WaterField Designs Pro Executive Laptop Backpack.”
Gadgeteer - August 12, 2018
"Waterfield’s crowd-sourced, collaborative effort has hit the mark, creating an exceptionally functional, nicely laid out backpack with a sophisticated look suitable for any business situation.”
WaterField Designs Pro Executive Laptop Backpack: A perfect business backpack created with the help of customers
ZDNet - June 4, 2018
"it is clear to me that the WaterField Designs Pro Executive Laptop Backpack gets everything right and is the best bag I have ever tested…”
I'm not going to go on about the build quality, or those zippers or the thought that has gone into everything from the gold lining to the folio.
What I love though is the comfort — within a few days of it arriving it got used for an overnight trip (thanks to the huge amount of space). Full change of clothes, toiletries kit and a 15" MacBook Pro and power supply, 11" iPad Pro and Pencil, headphones, cables and several testing iPhones with cables — all in one backpack, all on my back.
Simple the best experience I've had with a single piece of carry-on luggage.
I purchased this backpack mostly to use at conferences, so I'd look more professional. But I got it just before a two-week vacation to Japan, and it was my trusty carryon everywhere I went. It's amazing how much this bag holds, and is still so compact and sturdy. I love that it stands up on its own. The back-flap "quick access" pocket was super-handy for stashing my travel wallet without taking the bag off completely, especially as we went through airports, customs, and passport control.
I do have one super-nitpicky suggestion, though: In the "back office" section, the sleeve that's designed for magazines and papers doesn't have a top closure and it kind of hangs open, so when reaching into the bag, my hands would often slide into that sleeve rather than the main area of the compartment. It would be great if that had a small magnetic closure to keep the sleeve from hanging open.
It's incredibly well-designed and well-made, and my only regret is not buying it sooner!
I came from 8 years with a Booq Mamba Shift and numerous other bags/backpacks/briefcases before that. The Pro Exec is very good and will serve me well in the coming years. That said it does have some smallish issues:
- the zippers are stiff, maybe they will wear-in
- the general space is cavernous, I tend to just toss my various cables and accessories into it in disorder.
- it's not quite as comfortable on my back as the Booq
- the key clip seems like an after thought; it's something I use regularly
On the positive side:
- I can get some additional containers to keep my accessories in order.
- I don't use it as a backpack as much because of the luggage strap
- The ability to stand it up also makes it easier around the airport
- The pocket layout is good but I'm still working out how to use it best.
What do you mean by "crowd-sourced design”?
We often work with customers to help us design key products. We refer to this process as “crowd-sourced design”. We received over 2000 replies to our request to help design the next professional backpack. See the journey from idea to product here. Customers who signed up to participate gave us requirements and provided feedback during the process. We love working with customers this way because the end product is something they helped build.
Does the Pro Executive Backpack stand up when I set it down?
Yes. Having the Pro stand on its own is one of the primary features requested by customers. This lets them neatly place the backpack on the floor next to them when they take it to meetings.
What is the purpose of the Executive Folio?
In our surveys, people indicated they used their backpack throughout the day. However, many requested that the backpack be lightweight. Because people spent most of their time at meetings, we figured we can keep things light by having a removable Executive Folio that would contain all the essentials for a short meeting. Leave the backpack in your office, and take the Executive Folio with you to the conference room. You can also buy the Executive Folio separately here.
Why use full grain leather for the accents?
Real, premium leather does look good, doesn’t it? Full-grain leather has a super tight grain so it resists moisture very well, and it's strong and durable. We believe in making products of the highest quality—we never skimp on materials, even accents. Full-grain leather is ideal for handles; your fingers will feel the difference. We love how the leather develops a beautiful patina that adds to the Pro Backpack's character over time.
Why use a gold liner?
First, the liner adds a bit of protection for the different items you carry inside. Second, we chose gold because this lighter, brighter color makes it easier to quickly see the contents inside your pouch.
Have a question about this product? Contact us at HeyGary@SFBags.com.
"Once again your backpack project has hit it out of the park!"
"Thank you for letting me be part of multiple focus groups and for listening to your customers."
"Pockets galore. Thoughtfully placed to be very easy to use and access."
"It lives up to everything you said it would. It's changed the way I travel."