All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 denier ballistic nylon or durable waxed canvas
- Premium full-grain leather accents
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- 16” (l) x 7.5”(w) x 22.5” (h); 3.9 lbs. (ballistic), 4.6 lbs (canvas) 40.64 (l) x 19.05 (w) x 57.15 (h) cm; 1.76 kg (ballistic), 2.08 kg (canvas)
Volume: 45 Liters
- Padded, moisture-wicking, backpack straps can be tucked away.
- Two leather grab handles allow a horizontal or vertical carry.
- Backpack panel slides over a luggage handle for breezing through airports.
- Removable and height-adjustable, chest compression straps help distribute weight.
- Main compartment features ample space for travel gear and zippered mesh pockets for visibility.
- Compression straps and zippered mesh pockets keep gear in place and organized.
- Office compartment features padded laptop and tablet pockets and various organization pockets.
- Front full-length zippered pocket features one large and one small pocket with attached key leash.
- Discreet zippered pocket on top is easily accessible when bag stands upright.
- Expandable side pocket fits up to a 3.5-inch diameter bottle or umbrella.
- Smooth-gliding, lockable, waterproof zippers can hook to a side D-ring for added security.
- Gold, water-resistant liner lights up interior and wipes clean easily.
- Martexin Original Wax can be used to touch-up and freshen the wax on your bag.
- Air Caddy fits into the padded compartment and transfers to an airline seat-back pocket.
- Travel Pouches can be used to store clothes and shoes.
- Travel Light Dopp Kit can hold small gear and toiletries.
The Air Travel Backpack is part of the Air Travel Collection of bags.
First of all, it is awesome.
I brought it to my Singapore trip, and it is very convenient and useful.
Also, someone asked me where I got it from.
Two thumbs up!
I've been really enjoying this bag for an all-in-one solution for carrying to work my office supplies (computer, mouse, keyboard, headset), my workout attire, my lunchbox, and pretty much everything else I need in a day at the office. It's probably the most comfortable backpack I've ever worn, so I know a lot of thought has gone into the design of the straps and back padding. Take note that it does have some volume of the pack higher than usual backpacks. I have been clotheslined by this bag a few times when I duck out of a vehicle or under a low garage door.
I wear it as a backpack when I carry something else in my hands or for the comfort, but I really like the side handle to carry it as a larger briefcase with the back straps held in place. Taking it off of my back on my left and grabbing the handle with my right hand while I get into my car to place it in my passenger seat has been really nice. You don't think about it until you have to do that every day. Holding it sideways has presented a problem with the design. There are some internal pockets in the portable office portion that aren't enclosed, so some more slippery object fall out when carrying it this way. It would be nice if this was thought of in the design.
One other note that I have, hence the title of this review, is that it needs to be broken in. This bag is made from amazing materials, so I know it's going to impress everyone, but those materials need some love before you're in and out easily. Currently, I still have to muscle some of the zippers open because the material is folded over them or the zippers are too close to other zippers and they snag on each other. I know it will get easier with time, but it's a small frustration today.
I received my bag just 4 hours before my flight to Vegas. I immediately open the box, ripped the plastic bag off and started packing. It fit everything I needed for a 2 day trip to Vegas. So many pockets for additional small items, so your pockets are empty and you can clear security quickly at the airport. The 2 handles are a nice added touch and so far hold firm with no indication of ripping off the bag. The backpack component is very comfortable and doesn’t hurt my back. I’m very pleased with this bag and look forward on using it again for short trips.
I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant to order the Air Travel Backpack, but after a weekend trip with it, I’m pleased to report that it fully deserves five stars!
The first thing I noticed is that this backpack is *extremely* comfortable. I am of average height and build but this bag feels like a pillow on my back, even when it is fully packed with clothes, accessories, a MacBook Pro, and an iPad. The adjustable chest strap is a thoughtful feature but I don’t think I will ever need to use it.
Basically this is a hybrid mixing some of Waterfield Designs’ best bags. Think of it as a cross between the Air Duffel, the Bolt Duffel, the Pro Executive Laptop Backpack, and the Bootcamp Gym Bag.
One concern I had was the water bottle pocket. I was worried that a water bottle might fall out if the backpack is carried using the briefcase handle. As it turns out, this is not a problem. The briefcase handle is very wide, so all I had to do was grip the handle closer to the top of the bag, and this tilts the bottom of the bag toward the floor, so my water bottle was in no danger of slipping out.
I chose the waxed canvas and chocolate leather color options and I’m glad that I did. Scuffs and scratches are easily fixed with a hair dryer. The natural oils in human finger tips and palms are the best way to keep full-grain leather moisturized, resolving blemishes over time. The combination is stunning with plenty of Old World charm.
In common with other Waterfield bags, the Air Travel backpack looks and feels so good it may end up replacing furniture in your home. I store clothing in both sizes of the Bolt Duffel at home. When it’s time to travel it’s easy to grab what I need, cords and chargers conveniently stowed in a Waterfield gear case. My family loves the Outbound Canvas Totes for carrying clothes and any non-tech items. I can’t think of any other company on Earth that literally offers a life hack for nearly every carry and storage need.
This backpack was a delight to use, and I can’t wait to put it to work on the next outing. Thank you Gary & Team for another life-changing, life-enhancing treasure!
I have tried several travel packs before and now I am pretty sure, the Air Travel Backpack will be my last one! Quality is top, the design well thought out. Enough space for a MacBook Pro, an iPad and essential accessories plus clothes for one or even two overnights. This is may third product from SFBags after a case for the AirPods Max and a Laptop bag. I have never been disappointed! So happy with it.
T3 - June 22, 2022
“Could you live out of the Air Travel Backpack for days on end? Sure. Could you walk off a plane straight into a business meeting with the Air Travel Backpack? Absolutely. It may have a big price tag but this beautifully made product should have just as big of an appeal.”
iMore - August 25, 2021
“This classic and elegant carry-on bag can be used as a tech backpack or briefcase.”
The Air Travel Backpack is sized to meet the maximum allowable carry-on on most airlines. It has two main sections: a mobile office compartment for your tech gear and a spacious compartment for personal items. The mobile office compartment organizes gear in multiple pockets and two padded pockets protect two laptops, or a laptop and a tablet. These devices can fit in these padded pockets:
- Laptop pocket fits laptops up to 15" x 10":
- 14" MacBook Pro M1
- 16" MacBook Pro M1
- 13" MacBook Pro M2
- 13" MacBook Air M2
- Dell XPS 15
- Surface Laptop 4 & 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
- Tablet pocket fits tablets up to 13" x 9":
- 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
- Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro X, Pro 8, Go
NOTE: An optional Air Caddy can be stored in the padded compartment or airline seat-back pocket. It is custom-fitted for these tablets:
- 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- iPad Mini
- and other similarly-size tablets