All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1680 Denier black Ballistic nylon
- Full-grain leather accents
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- One size: 12” (l) x 7” (w) x 16.5” (h); 2.95 lbs.
30.48 (l) x 17.78 (w) x 41.91 (h) cm; 1.32 kg
Volume: 22 liters
- Sized to fit the maximum personal-item requirements of most airlines.
- Made of durable ballistic nylon and full-grain leather to sustain the rough and tumble of travel.
- Triple layer of foam on back and bottom distribute the weight for comfort and adds structure.
- Gold-lined interior holds several days' worth of clothes and two devices in separate padded pockets.
- External front pocket fits travel documents and a WaterField Air Caddy (up to 11-inch iPad size).
- Top external pockets store inflight items and are easy to access when tucked under the seat in front.
- Back is padded with moisture-wicking mesh padding.
- Ergonomic neoprene-padded straps tuck into a back panel when not in use.
- Rear slot slides onto handles of carry-on luggage.
- Two deep external side pockets hold water bottle and tech gear. Water bottle pocket extends inward.
- Comfortable, leather-lined top handle.
- Removable sternum strap is highly adjustable to work with most body types.
- Custom double zipper pulls can be locked together (lock not included).
- YKK waterproof zippers.
- Air Caddy for storing inflight entertainment gear.
The Air Porter Backpack is part of the Air Travel Collection of bags that keep you organized and comfortable from takeoff to touchdown.
The result of good design is delight, and that's exactly what I experienced when I took my first trip with my new Air Porter backpack. I spent a long time looking for the perfect under seat bag, and this is it. The descriptions on the site don't do justice to how pleasant it is to use this bag. The in-flight pouch at the top of the bag is generously sized for everything I would want to access on an international flight. I became the official document holder for my family, taking over from my much more organized wife simply because the design and placement of the passport/wallet and document pouches are so thoughtful. The water bottle pouch is ingeniously designed to not stick out and add bulk to the bag, and the pouch on the other side is perfect for a laptop charger and other items I'd want readily at hand. The design is so perfect that I rarely found myself needing to access the generous interior pocket. All this and the bag looks classy, stands on its own, and is comfortable to wear. No notes!
I've been searching for a high quality backpack that fits well underneath an airplane seat and the Air Porter Backpack is exactly what I was looking for. For long flights I like to bring along a small laptop, toiletry bag, tech pouch, light hoodie, noise canceling headphones and the usual accessories that go with these items. All of that fits well with space to spare and are easily accessible.
The backpack looks well made with quality materials. The gold interior fabric makes it easy to look for items in the main cavity. The hide away side pockets do eat into the interior space, but for me that is an acceptable compromise since it prevents my water bottle and other items from falling out and keeps the sides of the backpack neat and clean. As for fit, the backpack feels comfortable and snug. I like that the straps all have clips to prevent any of them from dangling. Being able to tuck the shoulder straps into the luggage pass through slot is also a nice anti-dangling feature.
One thing I would improve would be the rattling from the zippers. It is the only thing that prevented me from giving this backpack five stars. There are eight (8) metal zippers that are all near the top of the backpack and they tend to make a bit of noise while walking. I was able to mitigate much of the noise by using two mini S-biners to secure some of the zippers together. It would be nice to see a more elegant solution for this in a next iteration of this backpack.
Overall, I think this backpack is a great buy and I look forward to using it for travel for several years to come. Well done, Waterfield.
Just finished up my first trip to Europe with my bag. The description was spot on, made my air travel much more convenient. The pocket placement is spot on for my organizational needs, the bag has plenty of space, and is comfortable. Will buy again
This backpack is well built as is everything from Waterfield Designs. However, I think it is greatly overpriced. It should sell for half of the $400 price. Just my $.02!
My everyday bag is a Sutter Slim backpack that I use to carry a laptop and iPad, along with all of my cables, chargers, a power bank, a water bottle, and various miscellaneous odds and ends. It's a brilliant backpack but for travel I've always wanted something with just a bit more space.
Enter the Air Porter backpack: When I saw it as a new product, I checked it out and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for, and so, ordered it. It arrived two days before the website said it would ship, so I commend you on your reverse temporal shipping system, but that's not nearly as impressive as the bag itself.
In anticipation of an upcoming trip I did a test packing of the bag and managed to fit all of my usual tech gear along with three days of clothing and my toiletries. This will be the only bag that have to pack for short trips. On longer trips it will supplement my small carryon bag very nicely, giving me the ability to take just a little more. Should I ever have to (shudder) check a bag, the Air Porter is large enough that I can have a couple of days of essentials with me in the event that my checked bag has an adventure that doesn't include my destination.
The quality of the backpack seems to be up to Waterfield's always high standards and I anticipate that the Air Porter will be my faithful and frequent travelling companion for many years to come. Well done!
Windows Central - September 22, 2023
“...the best tech air travel experience I've ever had. It's not entirely perfect, but it's damn near it.”
The Air Porter Backpack meets the maximum allowable personal size item for most airlines. It has two padded compartments for laptops and tablets. These devices can fit in these padded pockets:
- Laptop pocket fits laptops up to 15" x 10":
- 16" MacBook Pro
- 14" MacBook Pro
- 13" MacBook Pro
- NEW 15" MacBook Air
- 13" MacBook Air
- Dell XPS 15
- Surface Laptop 5 (13.5" & 15")
- Lenovo X1 Carbon
- and other similarly-sized laptops
- Tablet pocket fits tablets up to 13" x 9":
- 12.9" iPad Pro M2 with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro M2 with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
- Pixel Slate
- Surface Pro 9
- and other similarly-sized tablets
NOTE: An optional Air Caddy (for storing an iPad Mini or iPad Air to watch inflight movies) fits in the leather front panel pocket. A larger Air Caddy for 12.9" iPad Pro fits in the main compartment.