All our products are crafted locally in our workshop by the most skilled sewing team in San Francisco.
- 1050 Denier black Ballistic nylon or brown waxed canvas
- Full-grain leather accents
- More details here
Dimensions & Weight:
- One size: 11” (l) x 5” (w) x 15” (h); 2.2 lbs.
27.94 (l) x 12.7 (w) x 38.1 (h) cm; 0.99 kg
Volume: 13.5 liters
- Full-grain leather and black ballistic nylon or waxed canvas.
- Firm foam padding protects contents and helps the bag stand upright.
- Padded laptop and tablet compartments fit up to a 16-inch MacBook.
- Pro or similarly sized laptop and a 12-inch iPad or tablet.
- Main compartment has gold, water-resistant liner for better visibility of contents.
- An interior, semi-opaque, zippered pocket includes an AirTag pocket
- One padded laptop pocket and and one padded tablet pocket.
- Wheelie suitcase pass-through slot for inserting into carry-on handles.
- Sweat-wicking mesh in the back and on the backpack straps.
- A comfortable leather-lined top handle facilitates a quick grab or briefcase-style carry.
- An upper, exterior pocket with scratch-free Ultrasuede® and padded with soft foam.
- A pleated, lower, exterior pocket accommodates chargers or other bulky items without bulging.
- The pleated, exterior pocket includes four pen slots, an open pocket, and a key fob.
- Two side pockets – water bottle pocket and quick-access items pocket.
- YKK waterproof zippers and custom metal zipper pulls add a professional touch.
I’ve long loved Waterfield bags, but I’ve also always struggled to find one that felt genuinely *perfect*. I find the Pro Executive a little too big for daily use, and while I love the Sutter Slim, too often I found myself needing a little more room at the end of the day.
But this bag? It’s about as perfect as possible for my purposes. I bought it months ago and still feel that way. I love both the top and bottom pouches on the front, each secured by Waterfield’s new-ish heavy-duty zipper pulls. There’s nothing fancy about the design for either pocket: I can unzip them and grab stuff with no complications or problems or overly worry that something will fall out if I accidentally leave one pocket open while in a rush. (I admit that happens embarrassingly often with the Sutter Slim.)
The top pocket is the perfect spot for essentials like my wallet, keys, work badge, and AirPods—while the bottom one is great for larger things like my sunglasses and numerous other small things. I like that I often feel like I don’t even need to open the main compartment.
Inside, the main cavity can hold my MacBook and iPad while leaving plenty of room in there for other things I stuff in there throughout the day like my AirPods Max and stuff from the corner store. The main cavity also contains another quick-access pouch, which I find perfect for things like my cash wallet that I want to be a little more secure than the outside pocket.
Just in case I need more room than what my bag can hold, I keep a small collapsible bag in one of the side zippered pockets—where I also keep things like pens and charging cables. (I do kind of wish the pen pockets were inside the main cavity as with the Pro Executive, but I can live with this design.)
Weight distribution is extremely important to me, and I love that this bag never feels too heavy regardless of how much junk I stuff in it (and with my tech hardware-intensive job, this happens open). Much as with the Sutter Slim, the way it doesn’t extend too far from your back ensures that it’s always comfortable.
My only real quibble is that while Waterfield bags tend to be surprisingly comfortable without a sternum strap, I find I still need one for maximum comfort, so I’ve just attached one from Peak Design on the front shoulder straps. It almost looks like it goes with the bag and it makes SUCH a difference when I’m carrying a heavy load. If there’s any accessory I’d like to see from Waterfield, it’s its own sternum strap—but I suspect it may go against the design philosophy.
I absolutely love this bag, and I hate going without it when I need to use a different backpack—such as for hiking. It carries weight well, it looks great, and it’s also sublimely practical. Considering the materials used, it’s also pleasantly light. I’ll almost certainly be buying another one.
This is my third product from this company, love buying local and love buying local, especially when the product is so perfect. There’s nothing about this backpack that I would change at all. It supports my 15” MacBook Air without looking like a massive backpack and that’s a huge win.
The Waterfield Compact Executive Backpack is the perfect size for a busy professional. The backpack is great quality and has the right number of pockets and space to fit all of the essentials without making the bag too large and heavy.
this backpack is incredible. perfect size for work and play while easily thriving in both environments. couldn’t ask for more
Big fan of Waterfield and have had several product to date. For work I have tended more towards Tumi, but my new EDC is the Compact Exec Backpack and loving it. Streamlined look but accommodates all I need including MacBook Air 15in. Comfortable, love the gold lining. Works great if working from cafes etc. Just the right size. Usual Waterfield excellent build quality.
The Compact Executive Backpack is available in one size and carries a laptop and tablet, plus daily essentials.
- The built-in Laptop Padded Sleeve fits devices up to 14.25” x 10", including:
- 13" MacBook Pro
- 14" MacBook Pro
- 16" MacBook Pro
- 13" MacBook Air
- NEW 15" MacBook Air
- Surface Book 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Surface Laptop 4 & 3 (13.5" & 15")
- Other similarly-sized devices
- The built-in Tablet Padded Sleeve fits devices up to 12" x 8.75", including:
- 12.9" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard
- 11" iPad Air with Magic Keyboard
- Surface Pro X, Pro 8, Go with Type Cover
- Other similarly-sized devices
The front pocket stores accessories like a power supply, cords, and other small items.
The main compartment holds a laptop, tablet, notebook, documents, files, and other office essentials.
The water bottle pocket fits a 16 oz Hydro Flask Tumbler, or 17 oz h2go Bottle, or similar sizes. Note that the 16 oz Hydro Flask is the absolute largest receptacle that will fit inside the water bottle pocket
*** NOTE: Need to carry more? Try the larger capacity Pro Executive Backpack.